This briefing is for Welsh businesses of all sizes, who are interested in entering and growing their share of the defence market, here and overseas.
The session will highlight the current UK defence and overseas and export opportunities for Welsh industry including major MOD contracts. Learn more about the UK Government regulation reform for defence and security procurement and single source contracts, which will improve the speed of acquisition and ensure innovation and productivity is incentivised.
In March 2021, the Ministry of Defence’s Defence and Security Industrial Strategy was presented to Parliament by the Secretary of State for Defence. The strategy will see industry, government and academia working ever closer together to drive research, enhance investment and promote innovation.
In addition to Ministry of Defence (MOD) and Armed Forces personnel, defence alone already supports over 200,000 UK jobs directly and indirectly, and tens of thousands of apprentices.
The MOD will invest more than £85-billion over the next four years in defence equipment and support, and are determined to deliver not just for the Armed Forces but for the whole of the UK.
- Welcome address from Vaughan Gething MS, Minister for Economy
- Welcome from Elaine Choules, Welsh Government and John Whalley, CEO, Aerospace Wales
- Defence Overview – Caroline Donaghy, ADS Defence Director
- UK defence opportunities – Simon Levy, ADS Head of UK Defence Business Development
- Overseas and export opportunities – Brinley Salzmann, ADS Director of Overseas & Export
- Q&A session
- UKEF update – Andy Mannix, Export Finance Manager
- UKDSC update – Samira Braund, Interim CEO
- MOD update – John Kite, Def Comrcl Strategic Supplier Mgt – Supply Chain Dev TL
- Q&A session
- Closing Remarks